Monday, April 11, 2011

Check Mate

So chess right… yeah? Chess?
No, I can’t play it either, but when you start thinking Alice in Wonderland or more accurately Through the Looking Glass it’s starts getting a heck of a lot more interesting… and bizarre.

Yesterday I decided to do some whacky little chess piece drawings for my greeting cards (www.etsy.com/shop/sarahfallondesigns) and part way through drawing a foppish face for my king I realised how much this was like the white and red king and queen, and all the rest, from Through The Looking Glass. Although, in actuality, I was probably inspired from the get go by this story from my childhood (and rereading it a few years ago), but it was more subconscious.

After I had the ‘oh hey’ moment I finished that foppish face and dashed to my computer and, as is only natural, googled illustrations from Through the Looking Glass. The results were thus;













Sir John Tenniel Illustrated Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There in 1871. He was the first person after Lewis Carol himself to illustrate the Alice Books.


To keep up to date with the words and pictures I'm sharing now head on over to my new website, www.sarahfallon.net.  I'm talking readingwriting and all kinds of daydreamy things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...