Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Native American Fashion


Vogue

There seems to be quite a trend in fashion at the moment towards the Native American. Tribal/geometric prints and feathers are everywhere. It's a trend we've seen before, I remember only a few years ago fringes were quite the thing, and I'm sure we'll see it again. I'm quite a fan of this look and while I won't be using actual feathers I'm keen to incorporate some Native American imagery, patterns and materials into my own jewellery. The first logical step? Google images of course. But then I thought about how long it's been since I did a Whimsy post and decided to go a slightly different route.
Instead of focusing solely on the fashion I decided to hit up the lore and religion instead and came up with a few images I hope you'll enjoy.

Mah-to-toh-pe Chief by George Catlin, 1833.

Navajo Rug.

Self with Bones by Brett Manning.
The use of bones and geometric patterns makes this image to me reminiscent of Native American imagery.

Coyote by Col. H. Smith from Sir William Jardine's The Naturalist's Library, 1845.
The Coyote is featured prominently in Native American lore primarily as a trickster .

Algon Captures a Star-Maiden by James Jack.
 In Shawnee legend the constellation Corona Borealis is made up of 12 Star-Maidens one of which is kidnapped by the warrior Algon. Eventually she falls in love with him and they return to the sky together. I wonder if this story served as the inspiration for Neil Gaiman's Stardust.
Totem #2 Moth by Patricia Ariel.
 While this contemporary image does not use Native American imagery, the idea of the totem behind it comes from Native American lore (I should point out Totemism does exist in other cultures).
In Native North American culture the totem or totems are animals which serve as guides through life. There is usual a main guide specific to the individual known as their Totem Animal.

For a more fashion based look at Native America check out my Hearsay blog.

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...